Simulations
This was a very
interesting interview. I love the idea of simulation because I think it helps
the student create a personal connection with their learning that will help
them remember the information later in life. I have used simulation in my
economics unit to show the benefits of an assembly line. I created paper
burgers, buns, lettuce, meat, ketchup, mustard, and cheese. I then had one student
try and make as many as they can in a minute then I organize the materials and
create and assembly line and see how many a group of students can make in the
same amount of time. This shows them the affects of the assembly line and it
involves them in their learning. Involving them creates a memory that will stay
with them longer than using a textbook or handout.
Video Games
I agreed with what
this article had to say about video games in education. I think there is a time
and place fore everything and there is a place in education for video games if
used correctly. They mentioned in the article how violent video games where the
player is the killer can have negative affects on the gamer. However, there are
many games out there that can teach students some valuable information. They
can learn about stocks, how to manage a businesses, and see how towns and
villages were overthrown. I think video games can be used in the classroom but
they need to be throughout and their needs to be some follow up on what they
learned by playing.
Web 2.0
I used Prezi in my
Social Studies class last year. Students were able to present information on a
certain region of the US and describe the Native American tribes that lived in
that area. They had to include the crops they grew and the animals they hunted.
They had to discuss the connection between their housing, clothing, and food in
relation to their location in the US. They did this by creating a presentation
on Prezi.
It was new
software for me so I was unaware of its capabilities and how it all worked.
Since I didn’t know the software very well I think that hindered their
abilities in using it to its full potential. In the future I want to become
more familiar with Prezi and create my own presentation that shows the students
how Prezi works, make a Prezi about Prezi. Once they are able to see the tool
in action and understand its features, I think it will be easier for them to
manipulate the tool to get the full impact Prezi has to offer. Students today
are pretty savvy with technology, so if I could provide some guidance in how
the basics work I have no doubt they will be able to take it and run with it to
make their own creations.
Technology
Exploration Assignment Form
19a. http://www.delicious.com/
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
Delicious
is a neat site that helps keep track of all the cool websites you encounter.
It allows you to install a button on your “bookmarks” tab so you can add
sites to your Delicious profile. This is a nice feature because they don’t
fill up your bookmarks and are kept in an organized format on your Delicious
page. Your profile page on Delicious resembles a social media site. You can
post links to your page and follow other people to view their links. It is a
different approach, but handy.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting?
I could use this website for my personal use in
saving sites for work. There are so many websites out there and this would be
a great place where I could store all my school related sites. I think it
would be great for students to use when doing research. They could easily
save their resource sites and browse their classmates’ Delicious pages to see
what resources they found. It would be a new way for kids to collaborate with
the teacher and with their classmates.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other
educators?
I would share this with my fellow teachers
because we all do so much online and use so many online resources. It would
be a great way for us to collaborate without having to verbally get together
and share what we found. It might be something to discuss at an upcoming
faculty meeting. I could post everything I have found in this class in these
Technology Explorations!
|
|
|
|
b. http://www.historypin.com/
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
Once again there is another cool site that I
didn’t know existed. This site has a catalogue of historical pictures. They
are categorized by events, topics and location. I recently started following
something similar on Twitter that is History through Pictures and all it does
is post interesting pictures throughout history. This site reminds me of that
account. The website has made collections of photos that you can browse
through and has a “Tours and Collection” link where you can explore history
though their photographic tours.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting?
I think this site would be terrific for a Social
Studies class. Students could get on and use it as a resource and explore
different locations they are studying or a specific topic. I also think it
would be great to use to take kids on “virtual” tours of important events in
history. We talked earlier in class how images can be powerful in the
classroom and this site holds a lot of powerful images.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other
educators?
I would recommend this site to my fellow teachers
because I think they could use it for a wide variety of subjects. They could
get a lot out of it in a Social Studies class, but it could also be used for
writing prompts. I think it is also great for personal browsing. It is very interesting and I think
pictures say 1,000 words.
|
|
|
|
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
Diigo reminds me of Delicious in that it records
website that you find that are useful to a cloud so you can access them
anywhere and share them with people. What is different about Diigo is that it
incorporates elements similar to Jing because you can take screen shots and
highlight important parts of the text. It is an organizational tool for
information.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting?
Any student who has to read information on the
web could use this tool. I think it is helpful in this area because of the
highlighting and screenshot options. I know when I read on the computer I
lose my reading spot a lot. If I have to read a lot I usually print it off so
I can highlight and take notes, but with those options on this site it make
it easy and more convenient.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other educators?
I might recommend this site over Delicious
because I could look at a recommended resource and see what they highlighted.
It would help me decipher why they liked the webpage instead of exploring it
with little information. It would allow for teachers to share and collaborate
what they find and highlight and post stickies to their favorite parts.
|
|
|
|
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
This is a great resource that is very simple to
use. It is a talking calculator that speaks whenever you hit a button. It
will say “eight” if you input 8 and “eight hundred forty two” if you input
842. It also says, “divided by” and “multiplied by.” It speaks as if a
teacher was saying it allowed to their class.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting?
This would be great for my fourth graders when
learning how to say big numbers. They have trouble with place value early in
the year and this would be a great way to help them read large numbers. It
would also be great to help them when they divide. They get confused on what
numbers to put in the calculator first in a lot of the mathematical
operations and since it speaks the numbers and operations it could clarify
for them if they were doing it correctly.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other
educators?
I would recommend this to my fellow teachers
because I think any grade level could get some use out of it. I think the
primary grades would benefit the most from it because it could help student
identify numbers and understand mathematical operations and how they are
related when said allowed.
|
|
|
|
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
This calculator also speaks and has more options
that the PBS calculator. It is not as fun to look at, but it does have more
features. I like the PBS calculator better because it didn’t require a
download. It popped up immediately and was user friendly.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting?
This calculator would be more popular with older
grades because of its capabilities. I think it would help older students who
have a math learning disability because it has the voice option. It could
possibly help ELL students in using a talking calculator because the screen
text can appear in a foreign language, but the numbers are spoken in English.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other
educators?
I would recommend this to the 5th
grade teachers because of the more advanced options on the calculator. I
think I would be more inclined to share the PBS calc because it is easier to
access and appeals to the majority of teachers in my building. I didn’t like
how this calc required a download to be accessible.
|
|
|
|
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
This website is a math Wiki for teachers. It has
a variety of resources that are categorized by a navigation sidebar. It has
resources from elementary to high school, which include lesson plans,
standards and best practices. Learning about wikis it is cool to see one
meant as a resource for teachers instead of a tool for students.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting?
I would use this source in school as a teaching
tool. I could navigate the site to find ideas for my math lessons and learn a
variety of things from how to use journal writing in math to how to edit a
wiki. A good tool for teachers.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other
educators?
Even though this is a good tool for teachers I
would not recommend it. I didn’t find a lot of information worth using and
some of the links didn’t lead anywhere. I love the idea of a teacher wiki,
but I wish it contained more useful information.
|
|
|
|
|
1.
|
Describe what you learned from exploring this
resource.
PicLit is a site that contains a wide variety of
pictures that you can drag words to or type your own and place them on the
picture. It is basically a site where you can create a word collage that is
inspired by cool photography. The website has a gallery of premade collages
to view and an area to help with your writing skills. It is a fun and
creative site that can be used for personal or school related projects.
|
|
|
|
|
2.
|
How could you use this resource in a school
setting
I think this site would be a great writing
prompt website. You could pull up a picture and have kids write down their
thoughts whether it is a list of words or an entire story. After the students
gain some experience with the site they can use it to create an actual
PicLit. They would enjoy using the site and the built up anticipation of
using paper and pencil will get them excited and ready to write.
|
|
|
|
|
3.
|
Would you recommend this resource to other
educators?
This site is a neat site for teachers to know
about because it could be used in a variety of ways. Our focus this year is
on writing and this site would be a great way to get students to want to
write. I think the amazing photos will intrigue students and will give them
the desire to produce writing to go with the photos.
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment